Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Life in Houma, sweet Houma

Over the weekend, I went to the Spring Arts, Crafts, & Food Festival at the former Southdown Plantation, the most significant plantation home in Houma, now a Historical Museum. After checking out most of the exhibits, I went to my perenniel favorite, which features a wide variety of jams and jellys, and sugarcane and sweet sorghum syrups. I had the good fortune of visiting an exhibit featuring some of the paintings of Ron Atwood who hails from Homer (not Houma). He does incredible work. Among his paintings, check out his newest. I was so impressed with "The Swamp," I thought long and hard about buying the large version, but chickened out, and just bought a small version at the end. Also, over the weekend, I took a walk in our neighborhood. We have a small "lake," and the neighborhood kids love fishing in it. Right now, the sac-au-lait (sock-oh-lay) is what the kids are catching. That's White Perch, for those not from this region. They caught three during the short time I was watching, so I decided to take snapshot of their success.

1 comment:

Lori said...

I checked out some of that artwork of Ron Atwood--I really like it! My favorite is The Swamp painting that you bought, too. I love the culture and environment down there, and I think he does a great job of capturing that.