Thursday, May 29, 2008

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, NEAL!!!

Neal's and Megan's birthdays shouldn't be hard to remember, since they are only one day apart. Our son, Neal is a student at the University of Utah majoring in computer engineering. He shared a provocative video on his blogsite about the effect that oil depletion will have on our lives, especially in suburban USA. This video is actually a few years old, so in the light of what has happened since it was made, it sounds amazingly prophetic. Happy Birthday, Neal!!!

Tomorrow, I will be traveling to Ft. Collins for a crop germplasm meeting. I am currently chairman of the Sugarcane Crop Germplasm Committee. Chairs of all major crops will be in attendance. The National Seed Storage Laboratory (NSSL) is on the CSU campus in Ft. Collins. Seed is cryogenically preserved so that it can last "indefinitely." True seed of sugarcane is actually preserved here. While in Hawaii, I assisted in a project to produce true seed of some Saccharum officinarum accessions (the true chewing canes) native to New Guinea and surrounding areas. The seed was sent to Ft. Collins for long-term storage. This trip will also give me a chance to visit Lori and James, who live in Loveland, not far from Ft. Collins. I look forward to the trip.

1 comment:

Given Family said...

Hello

I'm so happy to find your blog through Julie's blog :) I'm excited to read more of how you are doing and what the Tew's in LA are up too. Congratulations on being a grandfather again! Not sure if you heard, but Connor and I are in NC visiting my parents and it's been great. It sure is nice to be with family. The other day at the mall, we met this lady Barbara Tew, she worked at Clinique, (beauty supply store) and I was surprised to see someone I didn't know before with that same last name as you. I didn't think that last name was common and Barbara agreed with me as well. She said she didn't know anyone with that same last name either and she said she was from North Carolina.. Anyway, i thought I would share. Have a great day. I'm glad mOm was able to stay longer to help Julie out.