Saturday, August 30, 2008

Hurricane Gustav heading for Louisiana's Gulf Coast

To follow what I am following to keep up with the status of Hurricane Gustav, I recommend the following sites: National Hurricane Center; BoatUS (shows current wind fields); WDSU (New Orleans TV Station) videos (especially "Forecasting Hurricane Gustav").

As of 4:00 p.m. (central time) today, Terrebonne Parish, where we live, is under a mandatory evacuation order. Those of us who stayed beyond 4:00 p.m. are entirely on our own. At the same hour the National Hurricane Center issued a hurricane watch to Gulf Coast residents in eastern Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, and Alabama, meaning that residents within this cone are potentially within 36 hours of hurricane conditions (winds & storm surge), with the projected path currently aimed slightly west of Houma. If the path holds, almost all of Terrebonne Parish could be under water, since we would be on the bad side of the storm. With continuing coastal erosion, much of Terrebonne Parish is under water to begin with.

I have been debating whether and where to go to get out of harm's way all morning, and there are several options that I vexed with. Needless to say, it probably seems pretty crazy that I would wait this long to make up my mind. Remember the uncertainty of the storm. Officials don't have the luxury of last minute guesswork; they are under obligation to play it way safe, especially after the Katrina fiasco.

1. I could stay here, and weather out the storm. Upside: I would know exactly what is going on at home, and could possibly lessen damage at home, such as moving critical items to the attic, if necessary. I know I have neighbors who are brave or dumb enough to stay put that I could lean on, since several have indicated they are staying. Downside: If the hurricane causes extensive damage to the house, my life would be in jeopardy, or at the very least, pretty much unbearable over the next several days.
2. I could stay at our LDS Chapel. Upside: It's only 1 mile away, a very sturdy building, and on slighly higher ground from where we live. Downside: No one else is planning to stay there as far as I know, so I would feel pretty isolated, and have the potential problem of being without electricity & water, and not able to go anywhere for several days because of extensive flooding.
3. I could stay at a friend's house who lives less than a half-hour away, but in little safer area, someone who is well equiped to cope with the storm. Upside: It's still close to home, I would have friends to be with, and life probably wouldn't be as extreme, as long as they have electricity, even if with a generator. Also, I can wait an extra day before deciding whether to leave Houma. Downside: Not too much, but obviously this option requires someone to extend the offer. (As it turns out, our newly-called Bishop, Chris Diket, offered his home for me to stay at, which fits the bill. He lives on at one of the highest elevation areas in Thibodaux, a college town (Nicholls State Univ.) located about 30 minutes from Houma. At the moment, this is the option that is most appealing to me. I can't tell you how much I appreciate his offer!)
4. I could stay with friends further away. Upside: Still with friends, less hardship. Downside: Greater distance from home. Several have offered, and I appreciate greatly their offers.
5. I could stay at one of the New Orleans Louisiana Stake designated evacuation shelters, namely either at the Alexandria Louisiana Stake Center or the Jackson Mississippi Stake Center. Upside: I would be with other saints in the same situation. Downside: Considerable distance from home, lack of privacy, still pretty much fending for myself.
6. I could stay with my nephew Blaine Tew. The only relative I have living within 5 hours from Houma, extended an offer for me to stay with him and his family. They live in Crestview, Florida, near Pensacola, just barely outside the cone of danger. While this offer has great appeal, and while I know they would be wonderful hosts, the distance is pretty extreme. All of the contraflow will shortly be going in the wrong direction, both on I-10 and I-12, so at this late date, this option doesn't look very viable.

No comments: