Saturday, March 7, 2009

Happy birthdays are in order

Happy birthday to my wife. Last night, we went out and had nice buffet dinner. In Cajun country on a Friday evening, especially during Lent, this means all-you-can-eat seafood. I especially enjoyed the boiled shrimp. The shrimp are hugh down here. Judy got some nice birthday cards and several phone calls from family and friends.

Tomorrow is Lori's birthday. Happy birthday to Lori as well!

I spent the better part of the day planting our garden. The only thing that we have in the garden that carries over is three rows of potatoes planted in early February that are just about ready to flower. Everything else was cleaned out to make room for today's planting. Today, I planted beans, cowpeas, corn, tomatoes, peppers, and spinach. Later on, I will transplant a few vine plants, like watermelon, canteloupe, cucumbers, and squash. It's a bit risky to plant them right now. Judy ordered some edamame soybeans that we are going to try for the first time. Soybeans are supposed to be pretty healthy, and the edible ones are quite tasty. We'll see what happens and report.

3 comments:

Given Family said...

Happy birthday to both of them!!!
I love the edamame soybeans. We used to get them all the time at Costco in California. For some reason, the Costcos here in Arizona don't carry them. I figured maybe because there were so many Asians in CA, and not that many here. Who knows?! Anyway, hope you are doing well and happy gardening.

BayouCane said...

Evisa, edible soybeans are a favorite of mine as well. When we lived in Hawaii, I used to eat them a lot. As you said, the Asian influence...

Lori said...

Mmm I like edamame soybeans too. The only way I've found them here is in the frozen vegetable section. It works. :) Sounds like that garden is still keeping you busy! It's amazing all the stuff you can grow out there.

Thank you for the birthday wishes!!