Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Kayaking to the Intracoastal Waterway







I took advantage of Washington's Birthday, a federal holiday, and crisp clear weather to kayak down Minor's Canal (approx. 2 mi. each way) from Bayou Black to the Intracoastal Waterway. It's still a little too early to see the brilliant springtime colors, but I went ahead and took a few pics anyway. The trees on the left side of the canal are mostly of the bald cypress and those on the right with the emerging brilliant-colored red male flowers belong to the swamp maple, draped with spanish moss. Here is a website that has some great pictures of Louisiana's wetland region.

2 comments:

Lori said...

I think it's so cool you go kayaking. I'm looking forward to the springtime pics! Or are the alligators out and about by then?

BayouCane said...

Thanks Lori, for the interest and the concern. I think it will be a while before alligators are in much of a mood to be out and about. Hopefully, I'll have some cool springtime pics well before they get very active.