Wednesday, April 7, 2010

A greenhouse full of sugarcane seedlings

Each year, at the USDA Sugarcane Research Unit in Houma, we grow sugarcane seedlings from true seed resulting from crosses made during the winter. True seed of sugarcane has a shape similar to that of sesame seed but is much smaller, about the length of the commas in this sentence, which helps explain why sugarcane is not sexually propagated on farms and plantations. After about a month of careful nurturing, tiny seedlings can be transplanted to 72-cell trays, which you see in the photo above, taken yesterday. We transplant around 90,000 to 100,000 seedlings each year. This year, beginning on Apr 22, we will start transplanting these seedlings to the field. The field transplanting operation will take about a week to complete. Seedlings will be planted 16" apart on 6' wide rows. They will be cut back at the end of the year, then will begin to re-grow next spring. Those that cannot survive a Louisiana winter will cull themselves out. In the fall of 2011, the top 10% of surviving seedlings will be selected and be asexually propagated into the 2nd stage of selection. They will undergo additional stages of visual selection, increase, and multi-location yield testing. The entire breeding and selection process, from the time a cross is made, until a new variety is released to the industry, takes roughly twelve years. I will be long since retired before any commercial variety might possibly be selected from among the approximately 40,000 seedlings that can be viewed in the photo above. We have three greenhouses for seedling propagation, of which two are completely filled and one is partially filled with transplant seedlings this year.

3 comments:

Lori said...

That's really interesting. I can't believe I don't know more about sugarcane. I guess I was just in my own world as a kid. :)

Unknown said...

Dear Mr. Tew,
I enjoy tremendously your notes on the development of the bayous and improving technology for sugar cane in LA. I recently had a field trip to Port Fourchon. Travelling from New Orleans to this port I was amazed with the ecological chronology but did not understand until I read your blog then I understand a little bit more. Thank you for posting valuable information that are definitely not in any textbook. There is one bit of fact that I still could not imagine that it was possible. I was told that growing sugar cane in Louisiana farmers donot bother artificial irrigation. They let nature, the rains, take care of the plants. Is this true?

Vo-Tong Xuan - xuanagu@gmail.com

Unknown said...

Dear Mr. Tew,
Thank you for the info on the bayou and sugar cane development.
I hope to meet you sometime in future when I visit New Orleans again. Hope to have your phone and email.
Thanks.
Vo-Tong Xuan from the Mekong Delta of Vietnam