Friday, July 4, 2008

Friends from Provo staying in Houma

We got a surprise call, and learned that Lynn & Laurel Odgen and some BYU students were in Houma, staying at the home of Mike & Sarah Voisin. They were in our church ward in Provo, so we knew them quite well. They were attending a food convention/conference in New Orleans, and had the opportunity afterward to visit the oyster processing plant in Houma that Mike and his family run. The Voisins have developed a unique method of processing oysters that give them a distinctive competitive edge, so Lynn apparently wanted his students to see this. Lynn is a professor in the Food Science Department at BYU. His claim to fame is that he developed and perfected carbonated yogurt. His product used to sell off the shelves at the BYU Creamery on Campus. Through much effort on his part, and with support from BYU, his product was picked up by Yoplait, and today sells as "Fizzix." Lynn said the 3rd quarter information is coming in from Yoplait, so they will have a decent feel as to how well the product is selling after that. We told them we have become hooked on Fizzix. I only wish it could be packaged more similar to the product we used to buy at the BYU Creamery. Lynn and Laurel came over and filled us in on happenings in our old ward and on where their kids are at. I forgot that they had so many children. I remember their daughter Lena & her husband being in our ward, before we left. Their kids are scattered, just like ours are. It was fun to see the Ogdens, and we're glad they called us so we could connect.

3 comments:

Given Family said...

Oh that awesome. Their last name sounds familiar. I think they also had an Albanian exchange student, Edlira, right??? I think so, but I may be totally wrong. And I love yogurt, I should give that a try.. sounds interesting.

BayouCane said...

That's Right, they did have an exchange student. Wal-Mart has Fizzix. I don't know who else does. Right now,carbonated yogurt is oriented toward teenagers, but the goal is to eventually pursue the young adult age group if all goes "on plan" as they say. Whenever the temperature in Phoenix goes to 115 F, that would be a good time to have some.

Lori said...

That's funny that the Ogden's were in Houma! I'm sure it was nice to catch up a bit. Yeah I love that Fizzix stuff but I agree that I prefer the typical yogurt container.