Monday, February 2, 2009

Kayaking on the Falgout Canal

Extending from the Intracoastal Waterway that intersects Houma, four major bayous meander southward to the Gulf Coast like four extended fingers on a hand. They include from West to East, Bayou du Large going through the town of Theriot (tier-ee-oh), Bayou Grand Caillou (Kie-you) going through Dulac, Bayou Petit Caillou going through Chauvin and eventually Cocodrie at the end of the Hwy 56, and Bayou Terrebonne going through Montegut.

On Saturday, I took the 18 mile drive from our home down Bayou du Large through Theriot all the way to the Falgout (Fal-goo) Marina where I launched my kayak. I paddled my kayak the full distance of the Falgout Canal and back (3.6 mi. x 2 = 7.2 mi.). It took about 2 hours.

There is a highway that goes along the south side of the canal. At the far end of the Canal, I got out, crossed the highway and took a picture of what has been described as a "cypress tree graveyard," an area that is transitioning from fresh water swamp land to brackish marsh land.

The loss of land in southern Louisiana is of great concern to Louisianans, and should be to the Nation as a whole.

The yellow arrows in the Google Earth photo show beginning and ending points of my trip, and the yellow dot is where I took a picture of the dead cypress trees.

1 comment:

Lori said...

Wow, that sounds like such a cool kayaking trip! The cypress tree graveyard is sobering. It reminded me that I've been meaning to see that movie Hurricane on the Bayou. I added it to our Netflix queue. I had a professor from Louisiana when I was at UVSC--his last name was Falgoust. Every time I hear that name I think of him. :)