Saturday, January 24, 2009

Discovering the wetlands of Louisiana

Christmas 2007, Judy bought me a 9' kayak and put it under the Christmas Tree (actually in the garage). It was probably the biggest Christmas present I ever got. For several months, about the only place I ventured with the kayak was in a body of water in the back of our gated community, which, by the way, is called "The Lakes." Our so-called "lake" is small, only about 1/5 of a mile in length and shaped like a long-neck vase, but adequate to navigate a small kayak.

Within the past few months, I have started to venture out, trying out canals, bayous, waterways, and wetlands in the area. I have discovered a whole new world down here in southern Louisiana, and have really gotten the bug to continue to explore. I would like to buy a waterproof camera, so I can post pictures some of the fauna and flora I see in swamps, marshes, lakes, and bayous while kayaking. I realize now that there are local kayak tours, local clubs, kayak magazines, and more out there. My next exploration activity is going to be the Mandalay National Wildlife Refuge which is close to where we live. Unfortunately, most of the refuge is on the far side of the Gulf Intracoastal Waterway which can be dangerous to cross because of speeding boats and large commercial barges, ships, etc. Right now, I am content to just explore on the north side of the Refuge. It takes me about 25 minutes to go the two miles from Bayou Black to the Intercoastal, and I can just skirt along the north bank of the Intercoastal to get to the part of the Refuge that is on the north side.

What animal life have I seen in the winter thus far? Alligators of course, a water moccasin, nutreas, a wide array of birds, and "flying" fish (none have landed in my boat yet). This morning, I navigated a new waterway. Once away from all indications of human activity it was an amazing experience...almost spiritual, just gliding through the water with the only sounds being from the rustle of wind against the cypress trees and bird life. A bird with a very long beak, poked its head out of of the water right next to my kayak. I thought, "Where in the world did you come from?" Anyway, look for additional posts that will hopefully have some cool wetland pictures. Lousiana has about 40% of the lower-48's wetlands, so I shouldn't run out of places to explore.

Some favorite kayaking destinations include the following: Atchafalaya Basin, Bayou Teche, Bayou Lafourche, "7"-shaped Elmer's Island across from Grand Isle, Jean Lafitte National Historical Park and Preserve south of New Orleans, Manchac Swamp, and Pointe au Chien marsh land.

3 comments:

They call him James Ure said...

Wow, how fun!! Enjoy exploring. :)

Lori said...

That's so cool!! I think it's great that you've gotten into it, and that you've found kayaking communities! That really does sound like a cool spiritual experience. I'll be looking forward to those pics. Watch out for those alligators!

Given Family said...

That's awesome! How fun. We went on a kayaking tour when we were on our honeymoon in HI, and it was a lot of fun. I did let jake do most of the work though :)