Sunday, November 22, 2009

New Moon is making box office history

New Moon has grossed $258M worldwide over the 5 days it has been open to the public. To be sure, I have not seen this movie, and know very little about it. But I am intrigued by the fact that the book that the movie is based on (part of the Twilight series) was written by a latter-day saint (Mormon) homemaker, a BYU-graduate, who has stated that she is "straight laced" about her beliefs. Stephanie Meyer, described by some as the heir apparent to J.K. Rowling's long-held crown, has a personal story that is incredible in its own right. Talk about going from rags to riches almost overnight! The more popular LDS blogsites are abuzz with commentary, some of it having to do with the contradiction between the restrained lifestyle espoused by the Church and the powerful sensuality portrayed in this movie. I wish Stephanie well in her transition into a whole new life as a celebrity. Here is a video of Stephanie telling her story in 2007. I'm sure there must be more current videos.

1 comment:

Lori said...

I haven't seen this one yet but I did see the first one. And I read all 4 of the books. :) It's really strange but it did have an addictive feel to it. James said he heard that the hollow nature of the lead character allows women to easily put themselves in her shoes.

Anyway, I think she did a good job of making a love story while still being true to the LDS beliefs. Self restraint was a big theme in the entire 4 book series.