Saturday, November 28, 2009

Kayak swamp tour

I posted a boat trip that Ron Mangels and I took into swamp country not far from where we live back on May 23 of this year. While it would have taken hours to paddle my kayak to the furthest point that we reached, going the same route, I was aware of an access water route from the highway that goes along Bayou Black between Houma and Gibson that would take me to the same location.

Today, I decided to figure out exactly where the access route was, and take it. This was probably the most enjoyable trip I have had thus far in my kayak...moderate effort with a big scenic reward. The most exciting thing I saw from a wildlife standpoint, was the biggest owl I think I have ever seen in my life. It swooped down very close to where I was paddling...what a thrill!

1 comment:

Ron Mangels said...

Glad we were able to find you a shortcut so that, like you said you could get a large exposure to the beautiful bayous without a huge expense in paddling to get there. I have also seen a lot of owls while back there touring. Be sure to go in the spring when the wild iris's are blooming!
Ron