Sunday, January 31, 2010

Jared Tew - Putting the name "Tew" on the map

Caption: Air Force running back Jared Tew (42) scores against the Houston defense in the Armed Services Bowl. Tew rushed for 173 yards and two TDs to help the Falcons control the clock.

Air Force profile of Jared. ESPN Stats on Jared in 2009. Footage from the Armed Forces Bowl game, Dec 31, 2009.

Tew football fans originating from Utah and Idaho, including myself, became curious as to our pedigree connection with Jared Tew, who hails from Park City, Utah, after he starred in this game. I decided to make contact with Jared's father, Steve, in Park City, and he was gracious enough to get back with me. It turns out that Jared comes from a different Tew line than do the vast majority of Utah/Idaho Tews. I always thought that the only Utah/Idaho Tews were those descending from my great-great-grandfather, Thomas Tew, Sr. who immigrated to Utah in the mid-1800's having been converted to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in England.

Steve informed me that his grandfather (Jared's GGFather), Arthur George Tew (1903-1999), was born in England and immigrated to the inter-mountain west in his youth. He married Larue Morris from the Malad City, Idaho area, and settled down in Malad.

This is what Steve shared with me, "My grandfather was a dairy farmer most of his life in Malad, Idaho. My father [Farrell Eugene Tew] entered the military when he was 17 and went to WWII in the Navy. Following the war, he transferred to the army and we lived in El Paso, TX, where I was born. We then went to Germany for four years with the army, then back to Fort Bliss in El Paso. When my father retired from the army, we ended up in Ogden, Utah, where we would be close to my parent's hometown of Malad. A few years after I was married, we moved to the Park City area where we have been for almost 20 years. My mother did a fair amount of genealogy but never connected us closely with the other Tews we heard of in Utah and Idaho, so who knows the connection. "

We may never know our pedigree connection with Jared but I'm sure that at some generation not too far back in England, we share a common ancestor. We wish Jared well during his Senior year at Air Force. Many of the Tews from Utah and Idaho in particular, will be his fans this coming fall, and wish him well in his future military career as he serves our country.

1 comment:

They call him James Ure said...

How cool!! I'll be cheering him on too. Proud that he's playing ball in Colorado.