Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Raising cane in Louisiana

Sometimes when people ask me what I have done for a living, I tell them I started earning enough money to live on as a graduate assistant breeding a better malting barley for the beer industry, then I moved on to "raising cane," and on the side "growing grass." Hmmm...maybe a little explanation is then in order.

Here's a video we show at our research station. It's a bit dated, since the harvesting system has largely changed from soldier harvesters that lay whole stalks in a heap row, to a combine harvester that cuts the cane into 8" pieces, and drops them directly into a wagon that travels alongside the harvester. The video, as seen online, is in two segments, Raising cane in Louisiana - Part 1, and Part 2. Enjoy, if you have the interest. It lasts about 12 minutes in total.

1 comment:

Lori said...

Interesting--it's always fun to learn "how stuff works." I think it's cool that the sugarcane plants can be self sustaining from the bagasse.